Sunday, April 20, 2008

Jeff Sachs speaks about Common Wealth


Jeff Sachs is a world-renowned economist, whose book The End of Poverty was a great source for the economics section of The Secret Peace. He was at Barnes & Noble the other day speaking about his new book, Common Wealth.

His theme is sustainable development, and meeting the UN's Millennium Development Goals to alleviate extreme poverty in the world. I think he's a genius. And a great speaker.

The clip here is about the Iraq War. Ironically, this is one issue I'm not sure if I agree with him on, but it was the only video clip I was able to get before my camera ran out of space. I've thought we shouldn't pull out of Iraq ASAP because of the chaos it could leave the country in. However, Sachs's case is simply that being in Iraq is SO expensive that we'd get better bang for our buck using the money to help other countries alleviate poverty, or in developing more sustainable technologies. He makes a good case when you look at the numbers.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was my pleasure to visit your Website. I am also very Website you enjoy the article.And I also have the feeling that it was really a pity that we didn’t meet each other earlier. Because the kindness and warmth in your Website can make me completely relaxed and happy. I hope that you will visit my blog too to see if you can have the same feeling http://www.buynikeshoes.com

Anonymous said...

It was my pleasure to visit your Website. I am also very Website you enjoy the article.And I also have the feeling that it was really a pity that we didn’t meet each other earlier. Because the kindness and warmth in your Website can make me completely relaxed and happy. I hope that you will visit my blog too to see if you can have the same feeling.http://www.buynikeshoes.com
T-shirtsSunglassOther Brand shoesNike Air JordanNike Air shoxNike Air maxJeansJacketsHandbagsGucci shoesDunk SB shoesSandalClimbing shoesCAPSbrand clothesbootsAir Force 1sAdidas shoesKid's shoesJerseysLong Sleeve T-shirtsNBA Basketball shoes